Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Creativity and New Media

To explore the topic of creativity in new media, I created an avatar in Second Life. At first, I picked a sports car as my avatar, but then decided on a guy in a penguin suit and a top hat. It just felt weird flying around in a red sports car instead of flying around as a human being. Naturally, I was a little overwhelmed by the complexities of the game. I started walking around, trying to avoid all the other avatars. I then decided to take my opportunity to visit places that I've never been. Below is my journey:


The Statue of Liberty: I've never visited the statue of Liberty, and I most definitely would not have been able to get this view in real life.





The Acropolis: I love Greek and Roman mythology, so this was a free way of visiting history.




The Eiffel Tower: Another long-awaited destination. The details in Second Life are amazing.




Machu Picchu: What a sight to behold!





Bora Bora: After all that flying and sight-seeing, I was exhausted. Time to relax and take in some sun.






Temple University: Next, I wanted to check out the virtual campus of Temple University and explore the amazing ways that Second Life could be implemented.




Toronto: Finally, being from Canada, I felt homesick and wanted to visit downtown Toronto. Ahhhh, Yonge St (without the swarms of people!)





Although the size of the maps were relatively small, it was amazing to see the amount of detail put into these "worlds." It was really cool being able to visit all of these places and landmarks right from the comfort of my couch. I can see how some people can become immersed in Second Life. And that's only the beginning. I chose to visit realistic places, but Second Life is bursting with fantastical landscapes dreamt up from people's creative imaginations. With just a little dedication and time, you can pretty much create whatever you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment